Friday, November 23, 2007

When Thanksgiving Shuts Down Worship


The trumpeters and singers performed together in unison to praise and give thanks to the Lord. Accompanied by trumpets, cymbals, and other instruments, they raised their voices and praised the Lord with these words:

“He is good!
His faithful love endures forever!”

At that moment a thick cloud filled the Temple of the Lord. 14 The priests could not continue their service because of the cloud, for the glorious presence of the Lord filled the Temple of God. 2 Chronicles 5:13-14, NLT

It is black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, and I am actually THANKFUL!
Not because my wife found at 4am this morning the Leapster L-Max (x3) that Toys R Us had sold out of. (shhh don't tell the kids) I'm thankful for the time that we had with family yesterday and all that God is doing there. Areas in which there was great darkness, the light is now penetrating in my family after years of pain and sadness.

The passage above speaks of the culmination of the building of the temple. I feel as if my life is that temple. God has been building me for years and consequently building my family. This is not to say that we are a perfect family. We still have many needs, but I see light where there had not been light. I see family members who are so close to knowing the Savior that I know and they don't even know it.

When God showed up in the service described above, everything shut down. . . even worship! I had a family member tell me recently that I did not pray like a baptist. For my baptist brethren out there, I will tell you that she did not know how a baptist prays. What she wanted to say is that I did not pray like a churchy religious leader. That was the ultimate complement! When God breaks through the religion to show himself it becomes about Him and not about us!
Just as God's glorious presence filled the temple above and caused things to stop and focus on Him, I pray that the temple that is my life would be impacted by the powerful presence of God. And if need be. . .shut me down if necessary.

No comments: