Tuesday, July 31, 2007

If God is my co-pilot who is driving?



OK, So we are home right now visiting some dear friends. Many interesting conversations take place, but what I keep coming back to is simple: Are we about growing an organization or the Kingdom?

I had the pleasure of meeting a bi-vocational pastor in Mexico named Fernando. When I worked with him he did not worry about church growth. He offered his members for ministry for Kingdom growth even going so far as to offer to place the contact info from another church in our Gospels of John! Are we there yet? (as my kids so like to ask) I look around and see much more navel gazing than Jesus gazing. Where did we take this detour and how do we get back to the main road????

When we look at the churches God is blessing they are much more focused on Kingdom growth. Going to where people are living and meeting them where they are. How did Peterson translate John 1? "The Word became flesh and blood,and moved into the neighborhood." You may not like it because it is a paraphrase, but it hits at the core of who Christ was and, need I remind you, IS. The phrase has been used and misused, but it is true. . the great commission does not say, "Invite ye" but "Go ye!"

So go back to the Bible and look at the book of Acts if you are confused about what church is. The first building considered a Christian Church was not erected for around 300 years. Scary but true.

Blogging can easily become a showcase for those who have axes to grind. I hope that you hear my passion for the church as I desire to keep my ax sharp and labor for my Lord.

Keep looking in the mirror of God's perfect Word and don't forget what you look like.

1 comment:

Mark and Hannah said...

Hey brother, good to see you blogging some more. Hannah called me at work and said, "Have you read the latest on Taco Assassin?" I had to hurry home and check them out!

We miss you guys. Hurry back to Jackson!